Thursday, March 24, 2011

Blender Book Search

This week I taught a lesson about blends.  I decided to make a large blender on posterboard as a visual for my kids.  I printed out various blends, laminated them, and put them on the blender with velcro dots.  I really wish I would've made this at the beginning of the year and added individual blends as they came up, but now I'll have it for next year.  First, I reviewed what a blend is.  (We use a program called Secret Stories.  It is AMAZING!  If you've never heard of the program you should really check it out.  It's kind of pricey, but you could write a grant to get it.  Check it out: Secret Stories.)  Then, we went over the sounds of each blend and added it to the blender.  To practice identifying blends, students were then given a recording sheet and their reading book and went to a quiet place in the room to write down any words they found that began with blends.  I've done a few of these "book searches" lately for different skills and I've never had such a quiet classroom-- they're so involved and intent on finding as many words as they can.  *Some of my kids were calling the blends 'blenders' today... they make me smile!


To make the blender I just found a clip art online and made it big in a Word document.  Then I taped my posterboard up to the Promethean Board and traced the lines being projected.  (I guess that's a little tricky if you don't have a board like that!)


(I realized after I had this all made that I am still missing some blends,
but I'll just add them next year as they come up.)



--Mrs. Pollard


11 comments:

  1. I love your blog, and now am a follower! I need your email to send you weather walk! :)

    ~Erin

    http://firstgradefanatics.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I can't believe how many amazing blogs are out there... I'm excited to be a part of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea - thank you for sharing!

    Dana
    http://love2learnandshare.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blender is so cute! I use my Promethean Board all the time to trace things too :)

    Just Add Clipart

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! It's a good visual for the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just shared a link to this post! We used this idea and had a Crab and Flamingo come visit us! We made smoothies in the blender. Thank you for your inspiration for a lesson my kiddos LOVED!

    I would LOVE for you to come check it out!

    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your crab and flamingo! I teach K, but my high Kinders would use this later in the year AND my son is in 1st grade...he would LOVE a project like this! =)
    Thanks for sharing!

    Kindergarten Bus

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is adorable--I'm planning to make one for my son, whom I school-at-home.

    I've been finding so many wonderful blogs by public school teachers--and wanted to let you know I appreciate your hard work, your students are very fortunate to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This download no longer works. I am loving this and would love to download.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great idea - it's so simple! I'd like to post it to the Teach Your Monster to Read FB page and share to our followers.

    ReplyDelete