Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Skip Counting-- Freebies!

In a few weeks, we'll be starting our math unit on skip counting.  We've been verbally skip counting since school started, but we haven't really stopped to look in-depth at the pattern of counting by 2s, 5s, and 10s. 

To verbally skip count, we do a little rhyme called "Ringo Rango".  (Here's a link to check it out: Ringo Rango.)

A fun way to emphasize skip counting by 5s is doing painted handprints!  In the past, I've used a long strip of bulletin board paper and divided it into squares.  I paint the students' hands and they put it down on the paper.  Then, we go back and label the numbers under each handprint.  I hung this up along the top of my wall and the kids referred back to it all year.

For skip counting by 10s I tell the kids that crabs have 10 legs.  You can open by reading a book about crabs to grab the kids' attention.  I've uploaded a freebie presentation for you to go with crabs and 10s.

I use this cut and paste activity as a quick assessment at the end of the skip counting lessons.

What do you do to teach skip counting??

--Mrs. Pollard

2 comments:

  1. Great ideas. Love the little chant. Thanks!

    ❀Barbara❀
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing :)

    I just found you blog today, love it!

    ReplyDelete