Photobucket Photobucket photobucket

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Gingerbread Glyph and Line Plots... {FREEBIE}

My kids are loving the month of December!  This past week, we focused on all things gingerbread.  We read oodles of gingerbread books and focused a lot on Jan Brett.  The kids were really into the videos on her website.  To kick off our gingerbread week, we made a gingerbread glyph for math.  The next day we analyzed our data and put it on a line plot.  For writing, we used our same gingerbread people to write a story.  Let me just tell you... my kids were sooooo into their gingerbread stories.  Even my struggling writers sat there and tried until they got something down on paper.  I was so proud!

You can get my gingerbread glyph and line plots for {FREE} in my TPT store! 





The gingerbread writing paper is from my "Christmas Writing Pack"

This week, we also tasted ginger items and graphed our favorite.  I've never had a class consume their ginger items like these kids... that ginger ale was gone in one big gulp!!  You can find this activity in my "All About Ginger" unit on TPT.



Switching gears.... you know those moments when you're teaching and a child you never thought would get it has that light bulb moment?!  We all have those moments in the classroom.  I had one on Friday.  I got all teary-eyed.  We were discussing different versions of gingerbread books and one of my students answered a question and then he said, "You know how I know that?  'Cuz I turned on my schema!"  Did you hear that... he used the word SCHEMA... correctly!  That's what teaching is all about for me.  :)

9 comments:

  1. Hi, Mrs Pollard.
    I'm a Brazilian teacher and I'd like to congratulate you for this wonderful blog of yours.
    You must be an amazing teacher.
    Thanks for sharing your teaching experience.
    You've inspired me a lot =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the freebie, it looks wonderful! I'm your newest follower, so glad I found you!

    Jennifer @ Herding Kats In Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh love those moments!

    Thanks for the freebies!

    Im your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I am your newest follower! Would love if you would stop by my blog : )

    I love those moments when a kid surprises you with their new-found knowledge.

    Kelli
    Tales from a Traveling Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your darling blog! Love those gingerbread and line plot freebies...I am going to have to go snatch them!!
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I was doing some blog stalking tonight and stumbled upon your blog. So glad I did! I can't wait to read more! Everything looks super cute! :) Happy Holidays!

    Hope King
    www.shenanigansinsecond.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found your blog and I am loving everything I see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is it true that you are motivating prepared to buy another vehicle? Provided that this is true, you may need to truly consider the amount it will cost you to protect that fantasy machine before you make a buy. cash advance costa-mesa

    ReplyDelete