Photobucket Photobucket photobucket

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Rolling Out the Red Carpet

Today was our end of the year awards ceremony.  I usually do a slide show with pictures from the year, give awards and gifts to each student, and have a little treat for kids and parents.  This year we decided to work together as a grade level to have an 'official' award ceremony in the gym.  We had quite the parent turn out... all 100 chairs were full and the edge of the room was lined with people!  We went with a Hollywood theme and rolled out the red carpet for our firsties.



It was a special day for our students and parents to celebrate all of their hard work this year!  Tomorrow is our grade level cookout... if this hurricane weather can hold off for us!  Next week we'll be working on our first grade memory books and saying goodbye on Thursday at 1:15 {not that I'm counting down or anything}.

While on the subject of saying goodbye.... I'll be saying goodbye to my students, co-workers, and school next week.  My husband and I are Michigan natives and moved to North Carolina 4 years ago so that I could teach {elementary jobs in MI are hard to come by}.  It's been a wonderful experience, but it's very hard being away from family.  We now have the opportunity to move north to Ohio, which is much closer to home.  We've been working feverishly to pack up all of our stuff... and my classroom.  {I think I'm a hoarder.}  On June 15, North Carolina will be in our rearview mirror and we'll officially call Ohio our new home.

16 comments:

  1. Love the red carpet & popcorn bag toppers!! Good luck with your move to Ohio. That's great that you get to be closer to your family! :)

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a special way to celebrate the year. Good luck with your move!

    Elizabeth

    Fun in Room 4B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea!!! Good luck with your move! I have heard about the MI job situation... many ppl move to my district from there (2 this past year in my small building alone).


    Every New Beginning

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is exciting that you are moving!! Congrats and good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GOOD LUCK! I can only imagine how hard it must be to say bye to everyone after working there for 4 years! I'm sad saying good bye after 2 years. I moved to northern WI for a job, but my family is from IL, so I feel for you. ENJOY:)


    We are ALL Special!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the move! Will you still be teaching in Ohio?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to my home state! I hope you like it here. Will you be teaching here? I've lived in Southeastern and Northern Ohio and I went to school at Miami.
    lraines78gamil.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs. Pollard: Another great post in a blog full of em! Always love your use of pictures to help tell your story. I have been following your blog for the last month or so and would like to THANK you for all the great reading. I also sent you an email last week about profiling your blog as a TOP 10 Education Blog. Profiled bloggers are then eligible to win $200 for a charity of their choice on their behalf (or DonorsChoose project). Would love to discuss with you further! My email is AKlamann@calcas.com. Thank you for the great content! Best, Abbye Klamann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone for your well wishes! There's so many emotions with this move-- sad to be leaving, but happy I'm going where I am. I'll be moving to northern Ohio {very near to the MI border}. I don't have a job yet, but I'm feverishly searching!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy all the cute things you make. Where do teachers go for their cute clip art and borders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get my clip art and borders from lots of different places- Scrappin Doodles & Etsy are a few.

      Delete
  11. Hi there,

    I love all of your creations!! I hope your move goes well. I was wondering if you would be interested in making some multicolor polka dot word wall pieces (red, blue, lime green, yellow). I know you are busy so no worries if you can't :).

    Miss J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss J- I'm moving this week so it'll take me some time to get resettled. Are you talking about the letter headings or actual word wall words?

      Delete
  12. Is that a real red carpet? If so, where did you find it? I want one for my room next year and haven't been able to find one yet. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's not a real red carpet. We just rolled out red bulletin board paper. :)

      Delete