Photobucket Photobucket photobucket

Monday, November 28, 2011

Reindeer Week!

Well, my reindeer week is off to a great start!  The kids are loving it... I can't wait to do more.

Before giving any new information this morning we activated our schema by writing on yellow post-its what we already knew about reindeer.  Most of my kids wrote that they have 4 legs.  After reading a non-fiction reindeer book titled "A Day in the Life: Polar Animals--Reindeer", we wrote our new learning on purple post-its.  Then, we labeled our own reindeer. 




Here's our labeled reindeer:



Click {HERE} to download your own reindeer labels for FREE!


By the way... do you know how hard it is to find a non-fiction reindeer book?!  I finally found this one on Amazon.  It said it would arrive Tuesday, which was too late, but it was a Christmas miracle that it arrived on Saturday!  I was so excited when I opened my door and there it sat like Santa himself dropped it off!  I was so worried that it wouldn't come that I actually ended up writing my own.  (It's included in my "The Wild Christmas Reindeer" pack on TPT and TN.)

Here's a question for you.... as I was planning all of my reindeer stuff for this week and doing the fiction and non-fiction I thought about how the kids will say reindeer can fly and some reindeer have red noses.  What do you do about that?  I kept going back and forth between just leaving it and telling them they're correct or telling them that only the special Santa reindeer can fly and have red noses.  Thoughts?

--Mrs. Pollard

7 comments:

  1. Adorable reindeer :) I'd have a hard time telling them that they were wrong. Maybe I'd just redirect them and concede that some reindeer, like those that Santa uses do fly, but the majority do not. We had the same thing come up today when talking about the Arctic, students saying that's where Santa lives. I said, yup! and moved on quick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute!! I totally have this in my wishlist for next year - and I love it when books come early!! lol...I need to start sending them to work though because my husband keeps telling me that I need to stop adding to my "library" at school...that, that's WHY we have a library at school! lol
    Jen
    The Teachers’ Cauldron

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am actually teaching a reindeer unit next week as getting my fab ideas from all the lovely ladies in blog land. I, as you, spent hours scouring amazon, barns and noble, and other websites to find non fiction reindeer books. It is really hard!!! I did find and order the one that you ordered I also found watching reindeer of europe by Elizabeth miles and Reindeer by Katie Marisco, and obn scholastic a book called remarkable reindeer. I hope that helps you. :) I will be checking out your unit on tpt I am excited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving me some reindeer this year! Thanks for sharing the labels. Now, if I could only get you to and draw me that reindeer. :-)

    First Grade Delight
    imgoingfirst@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm doing a reindeer study next week and love finding news stuff (and blogs) for my lessons.

    Denise
    Yearn to Learn Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for this awesome idea!
    I am not a "real" teacher, but a SAHG of 5 and I happen to have the privilege of babysitting two of my Grandchildren, one of whom is 4 and I sometimes do "Gramma's Preschool" with her and I can't wait to do this Reindeer activity with her!
    She just recently watched the old school version of "Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer" with me, so I'm sure I will get the comments about the "glowing nose" from her and I think I will just go with what you suggested and tell her that only a very few "special" reindeer are like that!
    I'm so glad I found your blog, I found it through Erin's blog, http://eberhartsexplorers.blogspot.com/ and loved her ideas also.
    Thanks Again!
    Lisa H.
    lisastuf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete