Photobucket Photobucket photobucket

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Goodbye Insects, Hello Animals

Well, we just finished our 2 week insect unit.  Let me just say that I have 23 little entomologists on my hands!  They soaked up every crazy insect detail I threw at them!  How is it that some of them can't remember the simple everyday stuff, but they can recite, explain, and read words like entomologist, thorax, and oviparous?!  I just love how their minds work at this age!

I used Deanna Jump's insect unit from TPT for almost our whole unit.  It was amazing!  We started by reading "Busy Buzzy Bee" from our reading book.  We learned about bees and beekeepers and even tasted honey!  We built bugs with candy and shape blocks, wrote a book about various insects, and rounded up buggy rhymes.  By the end of the two week unit the kids were able to read an insect book and make a poster to share with the class.

Here are some pictures from our insect adventures...





Now, we'll be moving onto a 3 week study of animals and their habitats.  I'll be using the map of our state zoo as a way to move from animal to animal.  Along the way, we'll stop at the consession stand to get some 'popcorn adjectives'!  Among other resources, I'll be using Deanna Jump's zoo unit and Babbling Abby's Popcorn Adjective lesson pack.

--Mrs. Pollard

2 comments:

  1. We just finished our bug unit too. I love the build a bug using different types of food. I will keep it in mind for next year. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely recommend purchasing Mrs. Jump's Insect Unit on TPT. That's where most of my lessons came from... including the build-a-bug. My principal was walking through when we were doing this activity and she was amazed at how focused the kids were!

    ReplyDelete